There is no denying that green smoothies are here to stay. They are nutritious, energising and a perfect way to get your daily dose of chlorophyll. I have listed below my top 10 benefits of green smoothies as well as one of my favourite green smoothie recipes that will suit even the most sceptical mind. Give it a go and I promise you won’t be disappointed. Leafy greens have never tasted so good!
Top 10 Benefits
1. Fast! They only take a few minutes to make which is perfect if you’re in a rush or simply just a busy, active person. No excuses!
2. Nutritious! They are extremely nutritious and jam-packed with loads of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and fibre.
3. Easy to digest! When blended well, the cells in the greens and fruits are broken down, making the nutrients easier for the body to digest.
4. Energy boosting! The high level of nutrients will help to boost your energy and keep you powering through the day.
5. Alkalising! Greens are the most alkalising of all foods. To make your smoothie more alkalising, simply cut back on sweet fruit, optionally, go for the ones that are low in acid like green apple or pear.
6. Fibre! Green smoothies are loaded with fibre, which is essential for a healthy digestive system.
7. Chlorophyll! Where to begin? Chlorophyll has tons of benefits, which includes detoxifying and alkalising the body.
8. Versatile! The combinations of ingredients are limited only by your imagination. Whether it’s improving your skin, boosting your immunity system or getting that daily dose of antioxidants there is a smoothie just for you!
9. Snack! Green smoothies are perfect for breakfast as well as when you’re craving something sweet in the afternoon.
10. Delicious! Once you’ve learned to master your smoothie making skills you will most likely find your green smoothies absolutely delicious!
Green Goodness Smoothie
This creamy goodness of leafy greens, sweet fruit and mint will boost your body with amazing nutrients leaving you feeling refreshed and full of energy. Your health and taste buds will thank you!
• ½ frozen banana
• ½ kiwi
• 1/3 cucumber
• Juice from ½ lime
• 1 handful of spinach
• 1 stem of fresh mint
• 1 tbsp chia seeds
• 1 date, pitted
• Coconut water
Tip: Try adding 1 scoop of True Protein Vanilla WPI to your green smoothie to make it the perfect post-workout snack.
Blend everything together until smooth and creamy. Enjoy!